We all regularly get the feeling we could be treating our bodies a little better than we do. But as much as you feel like you should go to the gym, eating right is also crucial. As we all know, starting off well can be the first steps onto a path of lifelong health, this is why I’ve compiled a short list of the top 10 detox foods to get you off the unhealthy stuff and start feeling great!
8. Artichokes: Artichokes make it at number ten on this list, largely due to price and the little people seem to know about them. Sometimes artichokes aren’t the easiest to find either, but I must say, I highly recommend them! Apart from being a source of protein as well as fibre, artichokes do wonders to strengthen your liver and get you fighting toxins fast.
7. Asparagus: Just like artichokes, asparagus isn’t the most well-known or least expensive food, however they are great for getting you to start feeling healthy. Asparagus are known to help slow down the effects of ageing as well as your circulatory system.
6. Avocados: Once again, avocados rank higher than some other detox foods due to cost; though if you’re looking for a great taste than look no further! Everyone knows avocados go great in Mexican food and salads and there are a ton of great recipes to try. High in fibre and antioxidants you can’t afford to give this one a miss (though hold back on the guacamole!).
5. Green Tea: Long a staple of detox lists, green tea still ranks as one of the best. Not only is it cheap it is also great in order to help sooth and relax you. High in antioxidants this is a great beverage to add to your once-a-day list!
4. Beets: Beets are maybe not everyone’s tasty food but they are cheap and very healthy. Beets are not just a great anti-oxidant they are also a super food too!
3. Garlic: If you’re anything like me you can’t live without garlic. Although everyone says it may not be the best smelling of foods once you’ve finished your meal, you’ve now got an added excuse: it’s also good for you! Garlic isn’t just something that makes your food taste great, it’s also a great boost to your liver and immune system: so garlic away!
2. Olive Oil: Although you may be hesitant about having olive oil on a list of healthy foods, don’t worry. Just because olive oil is considered a fat, that does not make it bad for you. It’s all to do with the way fat is stored and used by the body, olive oil happens to be one of the ‘good’ kind of fats because your body can easily turn it into energy. Other than that though, olive oil is also a great anti-oxidant and is a great addition to any salad. Just be sure to do everything in moderation of course!
1. Water: Last, but by no mean least, water comes as a definite number one on our detox list. Not only can your body not live without it, water is great at helping you through illness and aid recovery. Best of all, you can replace all your unhealthy drinks with plain old water and stop ‘drinking your calories’!